Home > Dandelion Root Schnapps
Dandelion Root Schnapps
Dandelion root schnapps - based on fresh roots - is dry, spicy and very aromatic with a pleasant bitter taste.
The colour is reddish brown.
Enjoy on its own - or serve with roast meat and more heavy food where you would normally serve beer.
You can also turn your root schnapps into a liqueur.
Dandelion root schnapps blends well with other flavoured schnappses.
- 1-2 fresh dandelion roots
- 1 bottle (70 cl) of clear, neutral schnapps or vodka - 40% alcohol content (80 proof)
- Dig the roots from late autumn till early spring. That's when they are most aromatic.
- Clean the roots thoroughly.
- Leave them to dry in the shadow - on paper towel.
- Then slice the roots thinly.
- Put the sliced roots into a clean glass jar with tight-fitting lid.
- Add the clear, neutral schnapps or vodka.
- Steep for 1-2 weeks in a dark place at room temperature, 18-20°C (64-68°F).
- Shake lightly and taste it from time to time.
- Strain and filter your schnapps into a clean glass bottle or jar with tight-fitting lid, and close the jar.
- The root schnapps can be very muddy. It might be necessary to filter it a couple of times.
- Can be stored for several months - in a dark place at room temperature.
Note: If for some reason you are not satisfied with your schnapps, there are ways to adjust both taste and flavours - click here to see how.
Serve your dandelion root schnapps or liqueur at room temperature in suitable glasses.
And remember to keep your schnapps bottle or decanter tightly closed and in a dark place before and between servings.